Friday, April 15, 2011

The Hunger Games

I loved the book by Suzanne Collins so when my friend Debbie announced a cake contest on her blog with entries inspired by books, I knew this was for me.



I made the mockingjay pin from yellow fondant. The quote on the top reads "I am not pretty. I am not beautiful. I am as radiant as the sun." It's a quote from the main character, Katniss Everdeen. The sides are decorated with flames, a symbol of the "girl on fire" and there are the words from a song Katniss sings to a fallen competitor/friend. If you haven't read the book, then this cake might not make a lot of sense but I had a good time making it!

Inside is dark chocolate and vanilla marble. The frosting is also dark chocolate buttercream (because that's easiest to make black).

Results of the contest: This cake didn't win. Actually, it lost to one of my other cakes, the Monster Book of Monsters. :)

2 comments:

elesa said...

This is the cake I voted for! So cool. So how did you do in the contest?

Jessica G. said...

Interestingly enough...I lost out to one of my other cakes! :) But thanks for voting.